Layers on layers on layers...

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

You guys.

I. Can't. Stop. Layering.

Ever since I got a wild hair the other week to try a new painting technique [the magical layered dresser] I couldn't wait to try it again. I decided to mix things up a bit with this project by adding a new element. Spackling paste. Just wait.

The secretary about to undergo operation was in pretty rough shape when I got my hands on her, terrible stain job, bumps and bruises, you name it, she had it. BUT, that is our quest as painters and restorers, see through to the beauty on the other side! I wanted to play up the old worn vibe and give this baby lots of texture and make it appear as though it had a ride through the color spectrum over the years. I added good ol' spackling paste straight to my paint, about 3 parts paste to 1 part paint. It was a thick, creamy mixture that I knew would be great for adding texture. [try not to laugh at my terrible action shots]
 
Here are a few pictures I got during the painting/layering stage. I just grabbed an assortment of blues/greens and an orange to play with. And then I used a putty knife to apply each batch (in increments, allowing dry time in between) in random spots. Sort of looks like a patchwork design.
Although I wanted the secretary to appear textured, I didn't actually want it to feel textured. I used my orbital sander and went at it. The original wood started popping out in various places and I LOVED that! It really gave it an old world finish. And now it was soft to the touch, thank goodness!


What do you think? I know I've been doing more taste specific pieces lately, but every once in a while it pays off to be bold and go for it. At least that's what I'm hoping for! I picture a young boy working diligently on his school work at this desk... wishful thinking? ;)

*In case you were curious, all paints used on this project were Annie Sloan Chalk Paint products, including [my favorite] clear soft wax!

 Thanks for stopping by!
Jill





Post a Comment