A layered look

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ever heard of the most addicting website, a little thing called Pinterest? Ok, silly question. Well I was browsing around and stumbled upon the most awesome layered antique chest, I mean it was SO COOL! It had several Annie Sloan paint colors that I would have never dreamed to put together. That being said, this next project was inspired by this pin. It uses the same colors and while I was aiming to achieve a similar look, every artist knows that we all interpret and manipulate the brush differently, so naturally each person will get a unique end result. {link to Pin can be found at the bottom of this post} Enough of that disclaimer now, let's get to the good stuff!
Here are the colors I used. Talk about an interesting combo! And here is the blank canvas, an antique dresser with a crackle-like varnish. My source of inspiration did not include a "how to", so it didn't explain the steps to follow in order to get a similar look. That's where I feel our own creativity came in to play. I will share a bit of what we did to get this look and hopefully help you get inspired to try it out! {another disclaimer, I by no means think I am a "pro" at this, or even at explaining the process, so please take my words lightly! I'm simply just trying to spread the love <3 }
 
This is what the antique dresser looked like after the first round of paint. I used English Yellow{mixed with GF Snow White to help tone it down} sporadically and sparingly in addition to Greek Blue and Duck Egg. The fun part was being able to use a completely random application, there was no rhyme or reason. Liberating! Let's real quickly talk about how unnerving this experience was too... Have you ever gotten half way through a project and thought, "what was I thinking?!" or "what am I doing?!" It was hard not to feel like that when I stepped back and got a good look at this. Yikes! ;)
Next up: Adding splashes of Henrietta {mostly on the drawers and insets on the sides}. An important thing to note: after getting started, I began to experiment with incorporating the various colors while the first and second coats were still wet. It worked nicely to meld the colors together and create a blended look. I am going to bypass sharing the next step (sanding, gasp!) because, let's face it, it's down right messy and not very attractive during the process.

Lastly: wax on, wax off. Both clear and dark wax were used to help deepen and tone down the vibrant colors, aka Easter Sunday.

And there you have it! It took me a while, but once all the waxing was done, I fell pretty hard for this piece. I can just imagine it in a nursery, so playful and cheery.
Trying new things and branching out is exciting, even if it takes being inspired by someone else to get you there! Perhaps maybe even I'll do that for you? ;) I look forward to continue playing with other layering techniques and color schemes real soon.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Jill


Link to Pin:
 
 


Post a Comment